Ah, the magic of snow globes. Is there anything more charming or more festive? These little jars of wonder are the perfect way to create your very own winter wonderland, no matter where you are in the world. And the best part? You can make your own DIY snow globe right at home! It’s a fun activity to keep kids, guests, or hey, yourself entertained during the holidays. And who knows- maybe it’ll become a new holiday tradition!
Why make DIY snow globes?
So why should you give DIY snow globes a try this holiday season? Let us count the ways!
They make great gifts
First of all, there’s the gifting factor. Who wouldn’t want to receive a personalized snow globe that you made with your own two hands? It’s a thoughtful and unique present that’s sure to bring a smile to anyone’s face (without you having to spend a ton of money).
Make them for a fun holiday activity
But DIY snow globes aren’t just for gift-giving. They’re also a fun and easy craft activity that kids and adults alike can enjoy. It’s the perfect way to spend a snowy afternoon indoors, or even an evening with friends and family. Who needs paint and sip when you could have a snow globe and sip?
Turn them into personalized ornaments
Plus, there’s something special and quaint about creating a winter wonderland in a jar. It’s a memory in the making, something you can look back on years from now and smile about. And if you’re feeling extra crafty, you can even turn your DIY snow globes into Christmas ornaments or seasonal decor for later seasons.
So what are you waiting for? Grab a jar, some glitter, and a little bit of creativity, and start making your very own DIY snow globes. Who knows, you might just create a winter wonderland that’s even more magical than the real thing.
How to make a DIY snow globe: the basics
Winter is finally here, and we all love what it brings – snowflakes falling, hot cocoa, and cozy nights by the fire. Aside from all the other fun things you can do during the winter season, making your very own snow globe is a fantastic way to DIY and decorate your home. Below, we’ll take you through the steps to make your own DIY snow globe – and provide you with some creative ideas to put your own spin on it.
Materials and tools you’ll need
First things first – let’s talk about the materials and tools you’ll need for your DIY snow globe project. The good news is that you probably already have a lot of these items lying around your house! Here’s a basic list:
- Glass jars or clear plastic ornaments: You’ll need something to hold your snow globe scene and keep it watertight. You can use any clear container with a lid, but glass jars are a classic choice. Mason jars are a popular option, but you could also use baby food jars, jam jars, or even spice jars.
- Distilled water, glycerin, or corn syrup: These are your snow globe liquid options. Distilled water is the safest option because it won’t cloud or discolor over time. Glycerin and corn syrup can be used in place of water to add thickness and density to the liquid. Glycerin is the better choice if you want your snowflakes to fall slowly, while corn syrup will make them fall faster. There’s no right or wrong choice – it all depends on the look you’re going for.
- Glitter or faux snow: This is what makes your snow globe sparkle and shine! You can use any type of glitter you like, but make sure it’s fine enough to float in the liquid. Faux snow is another option – you can buy it at craft stores or make your own.
- Figurines, trees, or other decorative elements: This is the fun part! Choose items to create your snow globe scene. You can use miniature figures of people, animals, or landmarks, or create your own custom elements using clay or cardboard. You can find these items at craft stores, online, or you may already have something to use in your home!
- Waterproof glue or epoxy: You’ll need something strong to attach your figurines to the lid or bottom of your jar. Hot glue or superglue are both good options, or you can use clear epoxy for a more permanent hold.
- Pick your container: The first step is to choose the clear container you want to use for your snow globe. Make sure it’s clean and dry before you start.
- Choose a theme and figurines for your snow globe: Think about the scene you want to create – do you want a classic winter wonderland, or something more personalized? Once you have a theme in mind, you can choose the figurines and decorative elements you want to include. These can be purchased on Amazon, but to keep this project more eco friendly (and more personalized) try repurposed broken ornaments or christmas decor in your snow globe!
- Prep materials: If you’re using glycerin or corn syrup, mix it with the distilled water in a 1:1 ratio. If you’re using glitter or faux snow, add it to the liquid now.
- Assemble: Use your waterproof glue or epoxy to attach your figurines to the lid or bottom of the container. Make sure they’re securely in place before adding the liquid. Once they’re dry, fill the container with your liquid mixture, leaving a small space at the top. Screw the lid onto the container, making sure it’s tight and secure.
And voila! You now have your very own DIY snow globe. Below, we’ll give you a few more ideas for how you can customize your scene even further.
Waterless winter scene snow globe
If you want to create a classic winter scene snow globe, here’s some inspiration by “Made to be a Momma.” This is a great idea to avoid messes, as this one skips adding water.
To create a classic looking snow globe, think about the classic elements of winter – snow, trees, animals, etc. and choose some figurines to use. Then, arrange your scene and try different placements until you like the winter scene you’ve created. Once you’re set on it, make sure you attache them securely to the lid or bottom of your snow globe container. While this waterless version won’t have the same, slow falling effect in its snow, it’s still a beatiful and fun winter craft!
Photo snow globe
If you want to personalize your snow globe and create a lasting keepsake, we recommend making a photo snow globe. This is an excellent idea for those who want to incorporate a personal touch to their project or even give it as a sentimental gift. This is a great holiday photo project to create a keepsake using holiday cards or family photos.
First, you’ll need to trim your desired photo to fit inside the glass jar, and laminate or seal your photo for water resistance. Next, use a bit of waterproof glue to attach your photo to the inside of the jar’s lid.
After a few minutes, add the glitter and then fill it up with distilled water to create your snow effect. Finally, seal the lid with waterproof glue and shake it up to create the snowstorm you’re looking for!
DIY snow globes using recycled jars
If you’re looking for a way to recycle old jars, this is a brilliant idea to give them a new look. You can create unique snow globes using vintage jars or bottles lying around in the attic.
Start by selecting any jar or bottle you want to use for your snow globe. Clean it out, remove any labels, and start decorating it with a theme of your liking. You can use small toys or ornaments with different shapes and sizes to fill up the space inside the jar. Add glitter and fill the jar with water, leaving a bit of space at the top. Finally, seal the lid tightly and voila – you have your eco-friendly snow globe.
DIY snow globe ornaments
If the idea of using your DIY skills to create some handmade ornaments piqued your interest, you’ll love this idea by “The Turquoise Home.”
Create a snow globe gift card holder
If you love the idea of handmade gifts, but also want to give something practical, this one’s for you. A DIY snow globe can serve as the perfect package to add a little personal touch to the delivery of gift card. This post by “Homemade Lovely” will show you how to do it!
DIY Children’s toy snow globe
Any little kid would love to see their favorite miniature toy displayed in a beautiful winter scene inside a snow globe. Just make sure you use a duplicate, new toy instead of snagging their favorite- that may not go over so well. They’ll love seeing their toy surrounded by snow, and will certainly cherish this gift when they grow up. Find the full tutorial for this project here.
Make DIY snow globes your next holiday craft
DIY snow globes are the perfect way to capture the magic of winter in a jar. They are a fun and easy project that can be enjoyed by both kids and adults alike. Not only do they make great decorations for the holidays, but they also make wonderful gifts for loved ones. With a little creativity and imagination, the possibilities are endless when it comes to designing your own winter wonderland. So why not grab a jar, some fake snow, and start crafting your very own snow globe today?
Continue to dive into the wonderful world of DIY holiday crafts and decor by checking out our DIY mantel decor ideas, cool glass ornament projects, or DIY Christmas stocking holders for all those wonderful stocking stuffers you’ve found!