Even though small kitchens are a challenge to decorate, storage and display areas are of prime importance. Here are a few home decorating ideas for decorating a small kitchen to make it both beautiful and efficient.
- Visually increase a small kitchen’s size with glass cabinet doors. Paint the insides of the cabinets the same color as the walls for a fashionable, well-designed update. Solid-door cabinets work well below the counter and to the ceiling above the eye-level glass-door cabinets.
- Another home decorating idea and variation on kitchen storage is to use open shelves over the sink, the cabinets and as much of the wall space as desired. This is especially useful when you enjoy collectibles but are limited on space to display them.
- Repetition of shapes plus a variety of textures such as found in baskets is a home decorating idea that adds appeal to any kitchen regardless of size.
- Even a small kitchen can accommodate an island provided the area is at least 12 to 15 feet wide. This will provide additional storage as well as work space and will be convenient from anywhere in the kitchen. A chopping block or moveable carts with open shelving are examples of items that provide extra work areas and storage.
- Think creatively of every space in a small kitchen such as adding a pot rack, pegs, hooks, or decorative wall-mounted baskets for additional storage. Also, don’t add a lot of non-kitchen décor to the room. If you choose good quality, stylish cookware, utensils and dishes, they will make perfect kitchen decorative items.
- Canister sets make great home decorating ideas and are an example of trendy but practical accessories for your kitchen since they can easily become the focus of your kitchen decorating style.
- Install new drawer pulls and cabinet door handles for another inexpensive way to update a kitchen.
Since the kitchen is one of the most used rooms in the house, it is important that the design allows for ease and efficiency. By putting the previously mentioned guidelines to work, you will create a beautiful and practical kitchen regardless of size.
Article by Lynn Cressy. Lynn is the owner of Lynn’s Home Decor, which was created out of a love for decorating and shopping for home decor. There you will find a variety of home decor including shabby chic furniture, shabby chic home decor and wrought iron furniture and home decor as well as ebooks and interior decorating ideas.Image Credits: skonahem, decorpad, apartmenttherapy, thisoldhouse