Cottage style decorating has always been a relaxed, casual way to decorate a home, originally meant to dress up a beach or vacation house. But it’s charm and bright fresh feeling has made it a popular decorating style for any home over the years, in part thanks to the shabby chic movement of the ’90’s. But today’s cottage style is a touch more refined, though equally pretty and made for families. It is an especially good choice for small homes because of the light colors and airy feeling this style embraces. Check out our tips on getting today’s cottage style for your home!
- White is still the standby for cottage decorating. However, soft grays, taupes and greens can give you a flush of color update. Keep the color scheme simple and light.
- Cottage style is now an eclectic mix of old and new, traditional and modern, funky and fresh. Mix it up. In fact, sticking too much to a cottage “theme” such as seaside or cabin in the woods can date your room.
- Make sure your furnishing are comfy…picture curling up with a good book, comfy. Slipcovers. Still. Rule.
- Use vintage finds as re-purposed furnishings, but do it sparingly. You don’t want the whole room to look like a thrift shop.
- Add some bead board at the entry, or create some built in shelving…then accessorize with unique finds!
- Keep windows free of coverings when possible, and use minimal treatments when necessary. This is a great place to utilize a more modern element to update the cottage style in your room.
- Lighting. Another place to choose well… modern pendant lights and drum shades take your cottage style our of your mother’s living room, and into yours.
- Use fabrics that are soft, pretty and washable. No need to cover the house in florals though. Keeping it more simple brings the style into today.
Choosing to use cottage style in your home can make any small space welcoming and fresh. Have fun with this style, as it isn’t meant to follow “rules” too closely… remember it’s original purpose was for vacation spaces. Make sure you decorate so that you feel like you are on vacation every day!
Notice the modern fabrics and vintage accessories in this living room. From the book – ‘New Cottage Style’ on Amazon.
Clean, minimal, but still fresh and cottage!
Love the re-purposed headboard contrasting with the chandelier…then everything else is minimal.
How could you not love this charming kitchen with the best of both worlds… modern stainless steel AND vintage accessories! And that farmhouse sink? Love!
Perfect example of decorating a beach house, without getting too kitschy with the theme. I love the beach inspired art over the fireplace, but the rest of the references to the sea are subtle, as the starfish on the throw pillows.
Love cottage style? Hate it? Tell us what you think!Image Credits: Amazon, BHG, Freshome, Bloombety, BHG